Ang3lFir3 – Life as a Code Poet

February 3, 2012

Chewie article in Visual Studio Magazine

My friend and Chewie contributor Ian Davis does more than just help out his fellow OSS project owners. He also writes some of the best articles in Visual Studio Magazine. It just so happens that today he wrote an article on using Chewie to clean up Nuget dependancies.

BTW Ian is also the guy behind Toji which makes it even more awesome to use Psake.

Advertisements

August 2, 2010

Upgrading web projects from VS2008 to VS2010

So while upgrading a project from VS2008 to VS2010 at work I was under the impression that pretty much everything went pretty easy. That was of course until I tried running the psake build and hit the publish task.

My publish task looks as such:

   1:  task publish -depends set_prod_configs {
   2:      & $msbuild $web_proj_file /p:WebProjectOutputDir="$publish_dir\" `
   3:                  /p:OutputPath="$publish_dir\bin" `
   4:                  /p:Configuration=$configuration `
   5:                  /p:Debug=false `
   6:                  /t:"ResolveReferences;Compile;_CopyWebApplication"
   7:  }


pretty tame… but after converting this was failing with:

error MSB4064: The “Retries” parameter is not supported by the “Copy” task. Verify the parameter exists on the task, and it is a settable public instance property.
error MSB4063: The “Copy” task could not be initialized with its input parameters.

The solution while obvious took a little while to emerge. This problem seems to occur when continuing to use the .Net 3.5 version of MsBuild. However the proj files are updated to use the .Net 4.0 WebApplication targets.

  <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" />

So the simple solution to the whole obvious problem… was… use the .Net 4.0 version of MSBuild (Duh!). I had found lots of posts saying to remove some sections of the targets files and other such suggestions. This however seemed fishy to me (plus not feasible on my CI server) which is why I continued looking for a better answer. Once I realized that the targets file had been updated then it became obvious that I was trying to use .net 4.0 build targets with .net 3.5 MsBuild.

Hope this helps someone… and so I don’t make the same mistake twice.

April 17, 2010

VS2010 RTMs and all I cared about was the tabs!!!

Filed under: .NET, Blogging, Microsoft, Visual Studio — ang3lfir3 @ 10:28 pm

vs2010_tab_optionsThats right…. Visual Studio has finally been given the option to allow tabs to open to the right of existing documents.  I can’t but hope that my post on the topic might have helped the VS Team get on board with fixing this issue. Now that I am more addicted to R# it hasn’t been such an issue but I really feel like this is part of the new MSFT… listening to the community at large and taking note. That this is optional is actually better as far as I am concerned vs. it being the default.

 

Alright… have fun!!! ohhh and install IronRuby damnit!

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.